Mobile Fire-Rescue offers more than 500 free smoke detectors
MOBILE, Ala. (WKRG) – Over the weekend, the Mobile Fire Rescue Service (MFRD) held a smoke detection campaign as part of a new home fire prevention campaign. In conjunction with the American Red Cross, firefighters and MFRD staff distributed and installed smoke detectors and registered citizens for future installations.
BY THE NUMBERS
• MFRD installed approximately 230 smoke detectors in 65 residences.
• Firefighters roamed the neighborhoods of the Toulminville community, knocking on more than 200 doors. About 135 residents were not at home or did not need smoke detectors.
• Over 330 smoke alarms were distributed to registered citizens for self-installation.
• About 130 houses were represented in the self-relocation program.
• MFRD distributed or installed approximately 560 free smoke detectors in three hours.
Citizens participating in the self-installation program will be contacted within 30 days to ensure that the installation of smoke detectors has been completed successfully.
Functional smoke detectors are a key part of home fire protection plans, alerting residents to potential fire hazards in their homes. Mobile citizens are encouraged to register in advance for free smoke detector installations at www.cityofmobile.org/fire.